This is a list of transmedia resources that I’ve found to be the most useful over time. The list will be updated on a continuing basis, so make sure you check in again every once in a while.
Easy Starting Points
- Henry Jenkins: Henry is the leading academic researching transmedia storytelling and even coined the term itself. Particularly with his long and trailblazing history in fan studies, Henry’s book Convergence Culture (see below) is considered groundbreaking and remains a must-read for anyone operating in today’s entertainment industry. His new book, Spreadable Media is due to be published soon, and from what I’ve heard from him about the book so far, it’s going to be required transmedia reading as well. Henry also keeps a regular blog on which he shares his thoughts to current entertainment trends, including transmedia. Henry is also on Twitter: @henry_jenkins
- Jeff Gomez: As co-founder and CEO of Starlight Runner Entertainment, the leading global transmedia agency whose clients are the likes of Disney, Microsoft, Mattel, Hasbro, and Coca Cola, Jeff is the business authority in terms of transmedia storytelling. Jeff has been in the transmedia business for over a decade, and has given an infinite amount of presentations and speeches at conferences and conventions. I highly recommend you follow Jeff on Twitter (@jeff_gomez) and check out this Forbes article and his TEDxTransmedia talk to learn from a great man.
- Jenkins, H. (2006, 2008) Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide.
- Jenkins, H. (forthcoming; January 2013) Spreadable Media.
- Rose, F. (2011) The Art of Immersion: How the Digital Generation is Remaking Hollywood, Madison Avenue, and the Way We Tell Stories.
- Bernardo, N. (2011) The Producer’s Guide to Transmedia.
- Phillips, A. (2012) A Creator’s Guide to Transmedia Storytelling.
Case Studies and Compilations
- April Arrglington: April is one of the coordinators of the Transmedia LA MeetUp and runs a very practical blog full of actual or potential transmedia projects (@aprilarrg).
- Simon Staffans - also check out the Transmedia Scoop Simon curates
From the Creative Side
From the ‘Practical’ Side (Including Workshops)
Collaboration and Participation in Transmedia
Think-Tanks and Symposia
Conferences & Events
Communities & Discussion Groups